I am convinced that during this season, if we listen to God and obey his divine instructions, then we will be victorious in every circumstance. Apprehending the move of God requires obedience and submission to His Lordship and to the authority set over us as people of God.
God has given His people the authority to trample on serpents and scorpions and over all the powers of the enemy– Luke 10:19. He has given us the authority-The power of influence to have dominion over, to master, to govern and rule through the shed blood of Jesus Christ. The authority Adam and Eve relinquished, Jesus took back victoriously and then gave it to his people when he left this earth.
We have therefore inherited full authority, nothing less than what Jesus had here on earth. The question is-“What causes God to honour the one whom He has given this authority?” In other words, “What causes God to back us?” Delegated authority is only as good as its backing. Even though we are given authority, if we exercise this authority incorrectly, God will not back us. Since authority has been given to us by God, it is only as good as its backing.
- Our authority only works when God backs it! Whatever we are given authority over, we are expected to exercise it according to the principles of the Word. In order to walk in accurate authority, as mandated by God, we must understand the principles of authority. Here are six principles that govern authority:
- God is the Supreme Authority-He is the source of all authority, He rules over all authority and he is the ultimate authority over all creation, nature, the universe and the spiritual realm- John 17:2, Eph 1:22-23, Col 2:10
- When we submit to authority we have authority. If we walk in authority, we must first learn to submit to authority-God’s divine order. Many of us are desirous of submitting to God, but are weary of submitting to God’s delegated authority which causes us to come into alignment and gives us ultimate victory and authority over the enemy.
God has given delegated authority on the earth to man to govern over:
- Self-the mind, will and emotions and subduing the flesh. Gal 5:24
- Family- Fathers are the head of the family, priest, provider, protector under God and the wife is subject to her husband and the children to their parents.
- Government- This includes judicial, educational, social and medical authority. Due to the sinful and rebellious nature of man, God established laws and human governments for our protection and for our good. Matt 22:21, 1 Pet 2:13-14, Rom. 13:1
- Business- Whatever we put our hands to, we do as unto God for his glory. God is pleased when we are diligent at our work and He required of us to submit, as employees to our superiors and perform each task as if we are working for the Lord. Col. 3:22, 1 Pet. 2:18, Col 3: 23-24 and Eph. 6:9
- Church- God’s plan is that Christ be the head of the church. Under Christ, are God-appointed leaders who are there to watch over the flock, develop them in Grace and to ensure that their purpose is being nurtured and fulfilled. Rom. 13:1, 1 Pet 5:2-3 and Heb. 13-17.
- All delegated authority has a God-given purpose. When we do not understand such purpose, we will break rank and abuse our authority and give our authority to the one who has the lower authority.
Our purpose as people of God is to be ministers of good, not to Lord over our authority or use it as a form of oppression or stronghold over people’s lives. Our purpose far extends to protect, to release, to bless, to free, to train, to protect others from evildoers and to instill order in the earth. Authority has the power to bring life or death, blessings or curse. When we break rank with a higher authority, we now come into agreement with a lower authority and therefore jeopardizes our own delegated authority. It never pays to break God’s divine order.
- God holds authorities responsible and accountable for their actions.
- God defines the scope of delegated authority. Saul had a scope of authority as king and when he stepped out of line, he lost his kingship. The same principle goes for His people, when we exercise authority outside of our area of jurisdiction, we can actually lose our authority and our backing from God.